Thursday, October 1, 2009

Digg.com as a Marketing Tool??

Never thought Digg.com could be used as a Marketing tool.

But online marketers around the world would swear I was an Infidel if I said so....

Frankly, I had tried it out recently on digg.com - for my Gaikwad post. Luckily I had enabled Google analytics to track traffic on this page (not that I get much, but its not bad either)

I noticed that after I posted a new message on digg on the 29th, I got no diggs, but I received around 1,300 visitors from digg.com in the last 2 days!!

They came to digg, saw my message post, clicked on my link for kicks. The interesting part is that it served my purpose - I got visitors.....

As a marketing tool, I guess an advertiser would have to firstly have some content that was on the lines of being something viral. Serious stuff really doesn't work, unless it's somehow related to an "interesting" current event - Like an article that asks you to digg if you voted for Obama (got some 40K diggs), but "Girlfriend's angry emails to her vacationing boyfriend" also got some 20K diggs.....

Go figure!!

No comments: