Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Firmware Upgraded for my N79!!

I had read so many places about firmware upgrades going wrong - rendering people's phones like paperweights and all that on the Nokia Support Discussions Page. I always thought twice about upgrading my phone's firmware since I bought it in October.

But when I found that my N79's version was V 11.049 and Nokia had already come out with Version 20.175 & Version 30.019 (some 1-2 months ago), I thought it was high time.

I even contacted my Phone supplier about upgrading it for me thinking that would be the safest option (primarily so that I could pass blame if something went wrong) - BUT even he told me that they take no responsibility for any crashes. So why the hell should I pay him 300 bucks if I'm able to crash my phone myself?

So I just went with it.

Nokia seriously makes it very easy to upgrade your firmware. Doing it OTA (Over The Air) via GPRS is just too stupid. Takes ages to download around 8Mb. I used my Office's WLAN (thank god for the N79's Wi-Fi) and it was over in about 5 mins.
No Hard Resets, No Problems, Good Update speed, Phone started normally - I'm fine even though the firmware was double-upgraded (v11.049 - v20.175 - v30.019)

The only thing I've noticed that the RAM being used during standby is a tad-bit more. (I use Handy Taskman) - Maybe a glitch, but I dunno yet. Still gong through the reduced list of Bugs for the firmware.

At least the Flipsilent App I had mentioned in my Signing Apps post comes as part of the inbuilt apps for the N79 - Cool!!

So far no issues, I hope Nokia lets me keep it that way

No comments: